The Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Program (MVDHP) increases youth’s knowledge and interest in the dairy industry – nutrition, health and reproduction. Additionally, each participant will sell their two-year project at the MVDHP sale.
The following Brochure and Forms can be found in the 4-H Documents and Forms Section. Please go to 4-H Documents and Forms to print them out.
Applications, available January, are available from the UI Extension, Twin Falls County office. Participants are drawn in February for selection of September-October calves.
Requirements and Conditions for Eligibility:
- Candidates must be an active member of 4-H in the Magic Valley. A letter of recommendation from 4-H leader or FFA advisor is required.Candidates must attend all MVDHP activities.
- Candidates must have previously presented at a 4-H/FFA county fair.
- Candidates must show in the Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Show at the Twin Falls County Fair.
- Animals must meet all health requirements for the Twin Falls County Fair.
- All animals must be sold at the end of the program.
- If a participant must leave the program, the Steering Committee must be contacted immediately. Animals are to remain in the area.
Spring Sale and Education Day – Calves are purchased and health, nutrition, selection and production will be presented.
Achievement Day – Listen to presentations covering body condition scoring, determining the weight of the animal, and fitting and showing.
County Fair – Complete record books are due. Youth are to show at their own county fair and then at he Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Program Show at the Twin Falls County Fair.
Fall Education Day -View presentations about reproduction, mating, sire selection and animal health.
Completion – The project is complete when the animal is sold at the MVDHP sale and a stamped, addressed thank you note to the buyer is turned in to the office.
By signing the application, applicants agree to attend all activities and fulfill all requirements. Any participant who is absent from these activities or is not caring for the animal properly may be asked to withdraw.
If you are a dairyman and are interested in providing a calf for the program, you may contact the Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Program at 208-734-9590. There are certain requirements the calves must meet in order to be eligible for the program.
Businesses may support the Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Program through sponsorship of activities, donating to the Scholarship Fund or by purchasing heifers at the MVDHP sale.
Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Scholarship Program
Participants may apply for Magic Valley Dairy Heifer Program sponsored scholarships as they enter their senior year of high school. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of excellence in program participation.