The UI Extension, Ada County office and website offer a variety of horticulture and gardening resources. Please see the information below or contact Ada County directly.
When bringing specimens into the office, follow the instructions found below. We do not perform post mortems as it is extremely hard to identify problems with dead material.
- Insect identification: Free
- Plant and weed identification: Free
- Pest control recommendations: Free
- Plant diagnostics: Free
- University of Idaho soil test: $35.00 (Our office provides soil test kits; the test is sent by the customer to the U of I.)
The Diagnostic Clinic hours are Monday through Wednesday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm., mid-spring through fall. Please use the Diagnostic Submission Form when bringing specimens to the office.
How to Submit a Plant/Insect for Diagnosing or Identification:
- Bring as much of the plant as possible, showing the problem area as well as a healthy portion for comparison.
- Bring fresh samples, do not leave in vehicle for any length of time.
- Turf Sample – bring a 5 inch square section including roots.
- Insects – bring in a closed container. Avoid bringing in crushed insects.
- Weeds – bring whole plants with root system intact. Plants with flowers and/or seed heads are easier to identify.
Soil test kits are available at the UI Extension, Ada County office. Soil samples are gathered and prepared according to the directions provided with the kits and mailed to the University of Idaho. When you receive your results please call the UI Extension, Ada County office for help interpreting the results.
Community Gardening Classes
FREE 2014 Composting Presentations
(UI and Foothills Learning Center)
Turn that kitchen and yard waste into “Black Gold.” Learn how to reduce waste and improve your garden’s soil through home composting. Even if you don’t have a yard, we will teach you how to compost with worms, a great option for apartment dwellers and non-gardeners alike! Pre-registration is not required. Call 493-2530 with questions.
DATE & TIME: Thursday, April 17; 6:00-7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: JH Foothills Learning Center (3188 Sunset Peak Road, Boise)
DATE & TIME: Thursday, May 15; 6:00-7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Library! at Collister (4724 W State Street, Boise)
DATE & TIME: Thursday, June 19; 6:00-7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Library! at Hillcrest (5246 W Overland Road, Boise)
DATE & TIME: Thursday, July 17; 6:00-7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Library! at Cole & Ustick (7557 W Ustick Road, Boise)